[pct-l] TICK ALERT

Elisabeth M. Chaplin echaplin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:55:49 CDT 2011

I pick up ticks around here in Santa Barbara without too much rhyme or
reason in regards to seasons (as does the brown dog tenfold, if I get lax on
her Advantix), though at times it definitely seems aggravated; however, I am
generally good at screening myself after hiking and avoiding a full latch on
-- yet, I expect that while on my thru hike this summer I might not have a
full length mirror at my disposal nor the desire to strip completely naked
every night, so it's very reasonable to think that I might not catch on that
I have a passenger until after the fact. I grew up in northern CA, in the
foothills below Donner Pass, and definitely had a few embedded ticks as a
kid -- most memorable was one tucked below my shoulder, which caused a very
uncomfortable sensation in my back muscles whenever I tried to move my arm.
Back then, my parents burned their booties until they backed out with a hot
match -- but that is a big no no now.  Also, I am in the habit of only
buying and wearing light colored clothing if possible, which helps to spot
them before they get too cozy.

CDC guidelines: http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

When I went to my doctor to get prescriptions for the summer ahead, I asked
him about writing me a prescription for Doxycycline, a common treatment
approach for Lyme -- it can also be used as an antibiotic for other
issues/symptoms, such as urinary or respiratory tract infections. My
intention was that I would begin treatment immediately if I suspected Lyme,
ie a bulls-eye rash around a tick bite site, but he endorsed taking it
automatically in the event of an embedded tick even if I didn't express
symptoms. I plan on playing that by ear, but I do know I have no desire to
take my chances with Lyme, especially if I'm not sure what kind of medical
attention I will have available to me even once I get into town. Carrying a
few pills in my pocket seems like a good trade-off for the peace of mind...
Just a thought.

- Liz.