[pct-l] Sleeping gear recommendations

Ate Tuna atetuna at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:00:53 CDT 2011

That sounds like a very good setup so far.  If you find tyvek to be too
bulky, you could use polycro plastic for your groundsheet.  It is much more
compact, plenty tough, and weighs a little less than tyvek.

There are a couple new air pads on the market this year.  The Pacific
Outdoor Equipment Elite AC and Nemo Zor both weigh 14 ounces and cost around
$90.  I believe they're both warmer than the Neoair, although Nemo refuses
to specify the R-value of their pad.

For stakes, go with half a dozen 7" titanium ti-eye stakes from
Mountainfitter.  They weigh about the same as other ti sheppard hook stakes,
but the Mountainfitter stakes does a better job of securing the guyline.
 Add a pair of MSR Groundhog stakes for holding power...I'd use these on the
front and rear guylines.

As far as the Hexamid goes, I suggest getting the beak.  The beak means you
won't need the optional door, and you'll have a vestibule for your shoes.