[pct-l] Sleeping gear recommendations

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Apr 17 14:16:12 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Moccasin,

I’ve never had one of the duct tape hinges fail.  Always the foam has ripped
or become compressed before the tape failed.

My first two foam pads were purchased in the ‘60s when they became popular
and readily available.  They were made of a product called Ensolite which
was great insulation, and it didn’t seem to compress, but it was rather soft
and became damaged easily.  One of them I wore completely out -- meaning to
a rag -- while the other stayed in the gear locker.  That second one was
eventually converted with duct tape hinges, and that exact pad is shown as
the light-green item, center right in the TrailJournal photo.

The light-blue pad at lower-right was the next step.  It also is closed cell
foam but since it has seen quite a few trail nights it has become
semi-retired.  The dark-blue pads shown are what I’ve been using
recently.  They
are a different kind of foam, with much larger entrained-air cells.  The
cells are much more like micro-bubble wrap than fine-grain foam.  It works
fine, but it seems to compress after about 100 nights.  I’ll probably
replace that style of foam if I can find something better.

A leading retailer in my area has some foam pads which I may try, but I’m
leery.  Instead of being thickness-formed during manufacture leaving a
smooth top and bottom surface, these pads have been sliced from a large
block of foam with a knife or saw.  The result is the top and bottom surface
of each pad is rather fuzzy from the cutting.  It looks as if it would be
difficult to wipe dry should it become wet – which can happen – and it may
be more difficult to get the duct tape to stick to such a surface.

One tip for hinge-making:  Before applying the duct tape, top and bottom,
space the sections apart by about two pad-thicknesses.  That will allow the
resulting hinge to bend either way without crushing the foam or
over-stressing the tape during a fold.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09