[pct-l] Station Fire Closure

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 20:11:19 CDT 2011

I don't recall the Santiam Pass area being closed for more than a couple of years after the B&B Complex fires several years ago.  Even then, I believe it was mostly for safety.  Not that I've seen many decent spots to camp within the B&B burn area anyway....  6- or 7-year-old trees are growing all over the place, but I'm not sure if they were planted, seeded, or are natural volunteers, but given that they all looked roughly the same age, I'd go with seeding.  Anyway, closure for a couple of years due to any fall hazards from snags is understandable, if annoying.  I'd be surprised if PCT hikers are going to be much of a threat to things like slope stability and recovering vegetation.  Otherwise, I'm not sure it makes much sense and you need not stay out of the area after that.  Whether those who make the official decisions about such things would agree is a different matter altogether.

-Nate the Trail Zombie