[pct-l] Deet

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 17 20:36:40 CDT 2011

Don't bother with chemicals. If you have the infused clothing, great.
If not, don't sweat it. Ticks are annoying but it's not worth
stressing over. Yeah, I got a tick two weekends in a row, but I was
hiking in some really overgrown trail where I was pushing the brush
aside and sometimes it was scraping my neck, which is probably how
the ticks got down my shirt. The PCT isn't overgrown like that. The
worst you'll ever see if brush that scrapes your legs and ticks on
your pants. Just brush them off. I never saw any ticks on the PCT in
2008.

I went on another adventurous hike this weekend and we pulled into
our campsite, spread out our tyvek and kicked back in the shade.
Whenever another tick made his evil little self shown, he was flicked
off the tyvek. Eventually we had gotten them all. Later we set up our
tent and before bed we did a little tick inspection. Even after
bushwacking all morning today, we came home without a tick bite on
either one of us.

Diane