[pct-l] Castella resupply?

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 21:13:37 CDT 2011

When I hitched from Dunsmuir to the trail last year I was picked up by a guy
who said that since there was no frontage road paralleling the Interstate it
was legal to hike on it's shoulder.  That was second time I heard that last
year.  If so it's only an 1/8 - 1/4 mile tops along the interstate north
from the off ramp (which you would go up) to the on ramp ( from which you
would exit ).  Follow that road (their is no immediate intersection) to the
first intersection where a road passes under the freeway to intersect it.
There's a regional bus stop there.  That's the southern end of it's line,
and from there it goes to Shasta City, Yreka and you can transfer to Etna
there.  Mondays and Fridays a bus goes to Seiad Valley, but only tose two
days.  I have a schedule, but it may have changed from last year, but there
were several buses each day, more during weekdays.

Last year the owner of the deli - store at Castella advised me that he as a
BBQ every weekend, I believe he said Sunday, but possibly it was Saturday.
Unbelievable selection of beer.  State park officials at Castle Crags have
been unbelievably nice over the last couple of years to me and other hikers
- BUT the park was supposed to be closed early last year do to budget issues
and they are worse this year.  You could still stealth camp.  The campground
has hot showers ( follow the road the PCT camp site is on across the access
road and follow it around a curve to the right.  Shower house (multiple
showers for both men and women ) is on the right.  A quarter buys you 3
minutes or so of hot water if I recall correctly.

Shasta City is the best place to stay, resupply until you get to Etna if
money isn't an issue, in my opinion.  I like the campground, however,