[pct-l] Sleeping gear recommendations

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 18 07:28:48 CDT 2011

Good morning, Moccasin,

Don't come unhinged:  Unless you are the principal character in *The
Princess and the Pea* tale you won’t feel the seams in a hinged foam pad.
When the taped pad is first folded, the tape on the outside of the fold is
forced to adhere to the double-thickness of the cut edges.  Fold the pad the
opposite way and both pieces of tape adhere between the edges.  The result
is – when unfolded flat – the gap substantially disappears.  The remaining
gap will then be perhaps 1/8”- 1/4” wide; about the width of the pea in the
story.  I never feel such a gap.

When I remodel a pad to install hinges I also cut it to whatever size I
want.  If I have any concerns about taping technique or how the resulting
hinge works I practice on some of the trimmed scraps.  A joint taped with
the ends abutting in contact will not fold flat: it acts like there is no
seam at all.  The hinge will work with the edges spaced one-thickness
apart.  The pad will fold mostly flat until the edges have bent and
compressed slightly in service.

I have used another taping method that does result in a near-zero gap.  It
is more functionally elegant but it is difficult to render and it creates a
hinge that bends only in one direction; meaning care must be taken to
stagger the hinges, top and bottom, to assure that the assembly will
accordion fold.  To make that style of hinge, align the pad segment edges
together in contact, and apply one strip of tape.  Next fold the pad at that
point with the tape in the inside.  The result is a double-thickness
edge.  Next
– and somewhat tricky – tape around this double-edge.  To do so I place a
strip of tape on the table, sticky-side up, and push the double-thickness
edge directly onto its center.  Finally, I fold the tape edges onto the
surface of the pad on both sides.

Sleep tight....

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye