[pct-l] lyme disease on the PCT (was Deet)

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Tue Apr 19 09:56:50 CDT 2011

goslowgofar wrote:

from Yosemite's website:
"Tick borne diseases
There are two known diseases carried by ticks in this area: Lyme disease and
relapsing fever. Not all ticks carry these diseases. If you are bitten by a
tick, and later experience flu-like symptoms, contact your doctor and mention
you had a tick bite. If you are diagnosed as having Lyme disease or relapsing
Fever, and you believe you got it in Yosemite, have your doctor contact the park
sanitarian at 209/379-1033."
?
Lyme Disease and Relapsing Fever.?? Both west of Texas!
Katy

Back in the day when Lyme disease was new to the west  coast, a friend of mine, PineTar contracted it from a tick bite hiking in the back country behind Ventura and Santa Barbara. His case was verified by a lab test.  A couple of years later I got a tick bite behind Santa Barbara. I then got the classic ring and had some flu like symptoms. I went to the doctor who refused to believe that I had it. I showed him the tick and the ring around the bite.

Again he refused to believe that I had it. I told him that a friend of mine got it and explained the type of trails that we have behind SB. For example, this weekend we did a little over-nighter where it took us four hours to go .9 miles on a trail that had been in good condition before the Zaca fire four years ago.

The doctor said that the test for Lyme was expensive and the treatment medication was expensive. I asked him, "How expensive will it be if I really have it and have my joint deteriorate prematurely?"  I got my medication but he refused to do the test. I never had any complications.

Keep in mind - ticks cannot fly or jump. They climb to the end of a stick or leaf and hang by their two rear legs and grab onto anything warm that rubs up against them. The PCT in most areas of Southern California has a tread that is wide enough that you don't have to have too many leaves and twigs rubbing against you. Where they might, I use my hiking poles (yes another reason to carry them) to swat any twigs or leaves that lean over into the trail. You will get good at this after a while. That with clothing treated with Permethrin are a big help but still no guarantee. You will still have to inspect yourself and/or your hiking buds.

TrailHacker

"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln