[pct-l] San Jacinto/Mt baden powell snow

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Apr 19 21:54:45 CDT 2011

Last year just after the KO, Mountain Education taught one of our Snow Skills Training Courses up on San Jacinto around the Lookout. There was still about 3 feet of snow. Those who had just come over the Desert Divide related stories of nasty snow and ice down there. Most were not snow-savvy or prepared with the training and tools to deal with the conditions present. Hence, the decision by many to road-walk around the whole mess.

Not necessary at all with the right training and experience. Why risk a fall and the end of a thru hike through simply hoping that the hazard won't be there when you arrive? Assume that it will and be prepared for the worst.

At this point we still have weather coming in to the central Sierra. I don't know if SoCal is being hit. If it were me on my "hike-of-a-Lifetime," I would carry the necessary tools to get the job done if the conditions presented themselves. From what we are hearing coming out of the Mt. Baldy area, you'll need them there, too. Who wants to road-walk around when you can enjoy the whole trail safely with a little training?

So, yes to the ice axe, for anchors, self-belay, and self-arrest, and "most likely" to the microspikes/KTS crampons!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd