[pct-l] part of Paradise Cafe Thread

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Apr 20 14:19:55 CDT 2011

Beautifully said.  I think sometimes hikers forget just how counter-culture
long distance hiking is. When we are surrounded by hikers, immersed in the
trail there is understanding amongst all of us.  No matter where you reside
on the social/economic scale in life, amongst those on the trail there is
great commonality, trust, and an esprit de corps not often witnessed.

People on the outside of our community often do not have a clue about
anything related to the trail. Sometimes our own friends and family don't
understand why we choose to walk long distances, or venture into the
wilderness.  Perceptions and immediate reactions are often of FEAR. Fear of
the unknowns, hazards, and strangers. They drum up a thousand terrors, you
name it.  You've heard it. You may have your own set of fears related to
hiking; we all do on some level.

The new owners of the Paradise Café are brand new to all of this. Obviously,
they have come to the table with their own set of fears about drug
trafficking. In truth, I feared that the first hikers we hosted could be axe
murderers. But positive experience conquers fear. If the new owners have
overwhelmingly positive interactions with hikers, which I can only believe
and hope they will, their fears will dissipate.

Attitude IS everything.

L-Rod