[pct-l] ice axe vs pole self arresting

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Apr 20 19:46:55 CDT 2011

Ok. Let's get this straight

A self-arrest pole is always in-hand, so, therefore, it is always there for
you when you fall. On average slopes it is certainly adequate to stop a fall
on crusty snow as long as it is used correctly in skilled hands. It can not
help you when you want to self-belay, so if you want to go straight up a
climb, then you'll need an

Ice axe: which is the tool of choice for all those steep ascents and
glissading descents, whether you're traversing with the axe in the uphill
hand as a plunged anchor while you kick steps or in both hands self-belaying
straight up or as a rudder while in a seated glissade.

Swap out the whippet for the axe when times get steep or uncertain.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd