[pct-l] Food for Sierra/Fishing

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 13:04:43 CDT 2011

Toby,
I always bring food that has high calories per/weight/volume. I bring lots
of nuts and cheese.  Walnuts are 199 calories/ounce. Other nuts are also high.
Macadamias are 200 but are more costly. Seek out high calorie energy bars.
Snickers are good, my favorite is Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut. Peanut Butter
is excellent.

 Nido powdered whole milk added to Swiss Miss brand Hot Chocolate Sensation
makes a delicious morning and evening high calorie drink. I put two servings in
my two cup cup and put in lots of Nido. That alone adds up to about 400 calories
twice a day.

As for fishing in the Sierra - trout are an excellent source of protein. The
best time of year would usually be after the big snow melt.  I will be bringing
light weight fishing gear for my ride through the Sierra this summer. I plan on
trout and some wild plants that I am familiar with to supplement what I carry.

Have a great hike!

MendoRider