[pct-l] shut down aPCT water source? Drug Mules,C'mon Man.

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Apr 21 17:26:25 CDT 2011

Yeah, okay, so what if each and every person who needed water at
Highway 74 had to go over there and ask for it? Perhaps that would
solve a lot of problems right there. The owner could size you up and
decide by the looks of you if you are deserving or should go knock on
someone else's door. Likely he'd realize it's annoying to keep being
asked and he'd just leave the water on for us, and likewise decide
it's a pain in the butt to open our exploding hiker boxes (I pack
mine like a puzzle. There's no getting it back in once you open it).

But getting mad or worried because it's a source that might "dry" up?
That's just trying to bring civilization to the trail. Nobody gets
mad that the natural creeks dry up. Maybe nobody except me, but I
wasn't mad at the creeks, I was mad at the stupid idea of a crest
trail in a land where it makes a whole lot more sense to walk in
canyons. But I learned how to deal with the lack of water and was
very glad I did around Southern Oregon. The water management you
learn in So Cal is a big help later on.

So I agree, don't make a big protest about the new owner's policy.
Try and be nice so we can maintain this water source. But in the end,
it's not a big deal. There are other sources of water. You CAN make
it without all the caches and faucets. Especially this year.