[pct-l] Food in the Sierras

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 23:01:17 CDT 2011

 The main thing is that it is not about protecting your food, it's about
protecting the bear

Let's be real, it's about both.

It is perfectly legal to use the bear boxes in the restricted zones

I find the main issue to be not whether it's legal to hike from box to box
but the inconvenience that it causes. I like to be able to hike without
fixed mileages for the day. When I'm done for the day I look for a flat
place...and that's that. No need to push on for miles beyond what my body is
comfortable with.

Akin to this, I like to camp closer to my next pass than the boxes allow
for, so that I don't spend my afternoons postholing to my waist. Most of the
bear boxes are in the valleys between the passes, not near the pass. The
same could be said for summiting Whitney. If you have to sleep near the box
at Crabtree you increase the mileage and elevation gain to the summit,
making for a long morning.

Jackass