[pct-l] Sierra mileage

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:28:33 CDT 2011

We did 20 to 25+ in the deserts, but because of the extensive snow, we were
down to probably an average of 10 to 12 or 14 MPD in the High Sierra.  You
just can't find the trail for miles on end in the snowy woods, and that
really slows you down.  Once out in the open, you just make a bee line for a
pass, and pick up some distance there.  If I'm remembering right, it seems
our shortest day was 7 miles and once we made 20, and 2 passes.  That was
only once.  From our resupply at Onion Valley we planned on more food per
day than in the deserts, I took double, (no it didn't all fit in the bear
can, but we saw no evidence of bear activity that high and cold, that early
in the season) and we figured 9 days from trailhead to VVR.  We did it in 7,
camping at the ferry landing, and needed breakfast on the 8th day.  Then we
PPPPPIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGEEEEEEDDDDD OOOUUUUTTTT!!!!  Food and folks at VVR
were great!   We took a full zero, which we needed, (at least Mango and I)
for muscle repair, and to suck down more beer.

Now, the only reason to not hike around Lake Thomas Edison is that the ferry
was once driven by, Sir Edmond Hillary.  That's right, he filmed an add
years ago on the Vermillion Cliffs, and asked to drive that boat while being
ferried across.  Forget the beer, great food, campfires at night, sandy
beaches, cel service, showers, store, nice folks, friendly mice in the
tents, bear boxes on site, great hiker barrel, and just come so you can say
you rode in Hillary's boat.  Need I plug it more.  We all had a really good
time there.

Shroomer