[pct-l] Outrageous Marketing Ploy

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 15:40:45 CDT 2011

YoYo Shroomer writes: And Mr. Pirate, I feel it's time to get more formal as KO approaches, I will donate a jar each of John Muir Water and John Muir Dirt, maybe even a slug of John Muir Wine, so that folks can smear and otherwise splatter their packs with John Muir Good Luck for the trip.  So, get dirty with Muir, that's my motto.  The invite remains outstanding, for any thrus or angels traveling through the Bay Area who are interested in visiting Muir's home and ranch,  to just give me an email, and if I'm not on trail myself, we can put you up, and get ya in for a tour, as I'm next door neighbors to the Muir Nat. Historic Site, and frankly for us hikers, it's pretty special.  I saw Ranger Dan, (who gave us all the wonderful tour of Muir's home back in February) at Earth Day/John Muir's B'day festivities last weekend.  And he said to say hi to the hiker community (he's an ATer) and to tell you all how much he enjoyed giving a talk to folks who love Muir to start with.   Frankly he'd love to be at KO with us.  Except Zinger, who he said was out of line, and out of control!  Way bad sense of humor!  Penny needs to put a bit more choke on that chain dude!
Switchback replies: Yes, I have been to Mr. Muir's ranch too.  It is really a special place, especially his scribble den.  I say you should donate Muir Water, Muir Dirt, and Muir Wine to the Silent Auction.  I bet it would raise a lot of money for Kickoff expenses.  Look at it this way, years ago a fortune was made on Pet Rocks.  I bet no one thought it a good idea in the beginning.  Just another hair-brain scheme.  But look what happened.

I see making a rumor that if a hiker does not have his Muir dirt in a baggie in his/her pack, them are doomed.  The hiking gods will frown on them.  The failure of their 2011 campaign is assured.  Only $5 per baggie of genuine Muir Dirt.  Let's see now, that would be 500 hikers times $5 and that equals $2,500 for the two of us.  We will give the Kickoff organizers a taste too.  Say, about $100.  Promotion material and packaging should come to about $50.  So, that leave us with a net of $1175 each.  Nice.  Very nice for two days of work at the Pirate's Roost-Lair.