[pct-l] tendonitis...minor injuries

Glenn Bradford glenn.bradford at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:56:31 CDT 2011

You can definitely do some things to help too...

Find the exact sore spot and give it a good rub - don't injure it
more, but definitely give it a little pressure and movement. You're
trying to get circulation into the area, and especially into the
tendons which don't cycle blood that well.  When you're done, put
something cool on it - a water bottle, a splash of water, a slurpee,
whatever. If you're near a coldish water source, soak it until it's
numb to the touch. That cooling then warming back up flushes a lot of
crapp out of the area of the injury.

Also, if you know it's safe for you, definitely take some Ibuprofen to
get the swelling down so that it can heal. It's vitamin I after all!

Sounds like it can tolerate it, but injuries like that should be
lightly stretched a couple times a day if it can be done with only
mild pain. If the pain is mild and stays that way, definitely stay on
it, just take it easy on the injury area if you have that option. The
cool down the area injury like I described above.

If you can't cool it down, then just try rubbing and working the
*other* ankle. Sounds weird, but there's a lot of research that shows
sympathetic treatment of your body on the side opposite the injury can
help you heal 30% faster.

Last thing, make sure your calf and knee are stretched out on both
sides. In massage therapy, the saying is the ankle starts at the knee.
Keeping all that stretched will take pressure off those tendons.

Oh, the other last thing, slightly elevate it at night if you can,
that will also keep the are flushed out.

Have a great hike!

Glenn