[pct-l] PCT Ambassadors

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 16:00:58 CDT 2011

Scott,

Okay, my next 2 cents;

Every step we take on the trail, every smile we offer to another hiker or a weekend hiker on the trial, every "thank you" we praise the tireless post office worker or trail angel or convenience store clerk, is a HUGE part of our collective responsibility out there.  Every graffiti mark or bullet hole on a trail sign, every charcoal message left on an underpass, every curse under our breath about some small trespass or unmet expectation in a trail town hurts all of the good that PCT Ambassadors do.  So be a great PCT Ambassador, smile, say "thank you!" and "you're so kind!" to all of the strangers that you meet, give a cheery "hello!" or "good morning" to weekenders, and take nothing, NOTHING, not one step, not one breath, not one drip of sweat or a mosquito bite for granted!  YOU are the PCT Ambassadors and your behavior out there is all that the trail, the community, the experience is.

Hiking the PCT is not a right.  It is an opportunity.  It is a result of the good fortune that you have already amassed in your life.  You find yourself with the grace of the time, the money, the support, the drive and the passion . . . at the trail head with a pack on your back.  Northward, I say!

Greg Hummel

I will follow you if you follow me
All the days and nights that we know will be
I will stay with you if you stay with me
Just one single tear in each passing year
                            - Genesis