[pct-l] Happy Trails

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 12:22:56 CDT 2011

> I've always been amazed there was no forum, only the email list.

Depends on just what you're looking for - and what you want 'from' it...
There are quite a few other sites regarding the PCT besides the pct-l:
Postholer PCT Forum - <http://postholer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2>,
WhiteBlaze PCT Forum - <http://whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=416>,
Trail Forums PCT - <http://www.trailforums.com/room.cfm?roomID=11>,
Adventure on the PCT - <http://adventureonthepct.com/forum.php>,
years, too)...

You may see the same questions (from the same people), the same variable answers,
some of the the same 'experienced' responders, the same banter & babbling &
disagreements - etc., etc.
Some sites have languished due to lack of use (Adventure) or seem to have fallen
out of favor for many users (YahooGroups)...
And "If you build it, they will come" is not guaranteed whatsoever!  If you use
the YahooGroups "PCT2011", you will still need to try and get as many other thrus
as possible to also use it in order to be a viable 'class of 2011' "grapevine" for
on-trail communications...
Or try to gather as many email addresses for your fellow thrus as possible, and
make a 'group' in your email program/service...

If nothing else check PCTA for trail conditions and AsABat's SoCal water pages -
send updates to either one if there is any significant to report (both are only as
accurate as the latest reports to each)...
PCTA trail conditions: <http://www.pcta.org/planning/during_trip/current.asp> &
AsABat's SoCal water reports: <http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/>...

I think you will be quite surprised by the PCT "grapevine" and how info gets spread
while on the trail - you might be 'worrying' for naught about a preconceived notion
of a total lack of communication on-trail...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)