[pct-l] kahtoola microspikes vs kahtoola KTS aluminum

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:15:53 CDT 2011

Terrapin Flyer and I had KTS Steel last year and I feel like it let us
safely proceed early season through San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge, Big Bear, and
Baden Powell.  We hiked with people who had micro spikes, and people with
nothing.  We felt safe all the time, and moved with speed and confidence
over the icy stuff.  In the Sierra we used them a little bit, but by then
the snow was so soft for pretty much the whole day that we weren't using
them with the exception of Forester Pass, Muir Pass, and Mt Whitney where
they were nice, but not essential.

Fuller Ridge would have been stupid without them when we went through.
 Trail Hacker had been airlifted off Apache Peak the day before because he
slid down the slope into a tree and broke his ankle (which I think is a
lucky outcome).  He had no ice axe or crampons!

Granite