[pct-l] Deep Creeek Detour Report

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Sat Apr 30 09:23:40 CDT 2011

Wednesday through Friday we hiked from Big Bear to Silverwood Lake. We ran into two small patches of snow beyond Cougar Crest, they are probably gone today.

They are felling dead trees near Holcomb Creek Crossing, so heads up.

The detour goes pretty good for the most part. 3N34 runs along a 4000' plateau. The seasonal water sources were running well, we had no water issues. We watered up at Willow Creek, which looks like it will be flowing for sometime. Being a weekday, we only ran into a few dirtbikers, and they were considerate and slowed down for us.

After Pinnacles OHV Staging area, you only walk for 2 miles on paved CA 173. Being closed ahead there was no traffic. There were several camping possibilities along the way. We camped at the bridge over Kinley Creek. Good tent sites and good water just a few feet away.

The dirt portion of 173 was steeply banked, which was a nuisance.

All in all the detour wasn't bad at all. The 3N34 section had lots of flowers, and a cool breeze.

After the detour there was plenty of trailside water until CA 138.

The weather was great, and we had a great time.

Gary