[pct-l] SNOW REPORT NORTH CASCADES

Ben Martin ben.w.martin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:05:06 CDT 2011

Thanks for the update!  Is the snow level at Steven's pass still 4000'?

On Aug 3, 2011 11:46 AM, "Andrea Dinsmore" <andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com>
wrote:

SNOW REPORT

THIS IS FROM THE FIRST HIKER TO MAKE IT FROM MANNING PARK TO STEVEN'S PASS.
WE'VE HAD 12 HIKERS FROM BOTH DIRECTIONS AT OUR HOME IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS AND
ALL BUT 1 HAS FLIPPED SOUTH OR GONE HOME. 2 OF THE HIKERS HERE TODAY
(8.3.11) ARE GETTING ON THE BUS AND GOING SOUTH TO PORTLAND AND THEN NORTH.

First off I'm going to preface this for potential SOBOers.  I'm not going to
tell you not to do it.  If you're anything like me that won't make a damn
bit a difference.  What I will tell you is what it's like.  It's dangerous,
wild, breathtakingly beautiful, and exhausting (mentally and physically).
It's doable but only if you don't mind hiking 80% of the time in the snow
and don't have a lot of fear.  I'd say 30% of the time if I had slipped
that'd be it.   In general (even yesterday),  3' of snow at 4500 ft
(sometimes down to 4000ft) with more as you go up.  Though after a foot it
really doesn't seem to matter since you're walking on top of it for the most
part anyway.  Going was tough. Averaged 1 mph so though one section took me
6 hours to go 2 miles.  Had one day where I hiked though a snowstorm and was
only able to cover 9 miles.  Best day was 18 because I hit some trail below
4000.  There's so much snow I'd say it's going to be tough for the next 2 to
3 weeks. It's physically and mentally draining hiking though that much snow
(and tretcherous slopes).

PCT MOM
www dinsmoreshikerhaven com
To unsubcribe, or change options visit: