[pct-l] Conditions fron Echo Summit to Belden

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 17:39:44 CDT 2011

I left Echo Pass on 8 July and arrived at Donner Pass (actually the main bldg of Sugar Bowl Ski Resort, by snowmobile, no less) on 11 July.  Routefinding was occasionally slow but not near as bad as from Sonora Pass to Echo.  Snow was melting out fast, but you almost certainly will encounter some, esp. in shaded forests and north slopes.   The biggest problem I had was  around Fontainelle (?) the Vernal Lakes.

If you have GPS you should be fine (with map & compass, of course).  I didn't havew a GPS and was grateful for thru-hikers in front of me for making good prints and dragging their poles.  By the way, the last three days of this section were done in one hiking shoe and one Croc, due to Miller Creek being unfriendly.

Mango