[pct-l] So. OR

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 23:48:13 CDT 2011

> In my brief trail report of southern
> Oregon I failed to mention that on page 71 of the OR/WA
> guide book, at elevation 5290 the spring is no longer fenced
> in. Since it is now in Soda Mtn. Wilderness, the fence has
> been taken down. Removed to a road right above the spring,
> which, if you turn left (south) on that road, there is more
> than adequate camping for numerous folks.

If you're talking about the one a few miles north of Pilot Rock--noted in the PCT Atlas as 'Fenced Spring'--it does indeed have a fence around it.  It's a rather sizable fence, as a matter of fact.  I even had to climb over it--gate was stuck, if I recall correctly.  There is indeed a LOT of room for camping in its vicinity, pretty much on all sides and at a crossroads less than a mile north.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR