[pct-l] Cascade Locks to Highway 24

SUSAN G COOPER ace-coop at msn.com
Sun Aug 7 17:07:31 CDT 2011

We just finished hiking Cascade Locks to Highway 24.  Lots of snow North of Crest Horse Camp in Indian Heaven Wilderness.  At least 10 miles of snow with drifts 6-10 feet.  Exited snow North of Sawtooth Mountain.  Dry to highway 24.  In the heavy snow areas, we managed about 1 MPH.  Impossible to follow trail.  Where there was no snow, there was considerable blow down across the trail that we often had to climb around.  Ponds around 5000 feet frozen.  At lower elevations (3500-4000), the mosquitos were fearsome.  We had planned to exit Highway 23, but exited at 24 because food running out.  Needless to say, water is not a problem once you leave Crest camp. Ma and Pa