[pct-l] snow at Rainier --- and in North Cascades

Keith Kurko kwkurko at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 18:48:21 CDT 2011

Thanks Robert.

I have been looking at the National Weather Service's Snow Analyses maps
overlaid by Halfmile's tracks, and I am amazed at the amount snow remaining
at the higher elevations in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, particularly  on
north and east slopes. I have been hiking and backpacking in the North
Cascades since 1974, and this is the most snow that I have ever seen still
on the ground at this time of year.  We had a cold spring and a an unusually
cool summer, and we also had a huge snowpack left over from last winter.

Keith