[pct-l] PLBs, SPOT, and SATs

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Aug 14 21:08:07 CDT 2011

On Aug 14, 2011, at 9:17 PM, Janet Grossman wrote:
>  Looking at my PCT Atlas, I realized I'd do much better going
> back to Barker Pass for help than continuing north, so that's what I did
> the next morning, and was fortunate enough to meet Liam and his parents
> at the Baker Pass TH.

Well right there is a couple of things you did right:
-- you had a map with you and were able to read it
-- you remained calm, evaluated your situation, and self-rescued safely

The type of fall you described could happen almost anywhere.  How many of
us have tripped over a rock, had a foot slide out from under them when
stepping on a water bar, or stumbled when stepping over a branch or log?

This is one reason I like hiking poles.  I've recovered from many a mis-placed
step with my poles and kept right on going with barely a pause.

Radar