[pct-l] glacial runoff

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:10:19 CDT 2011

Hey all I have a question that I've yet to find a good answer to.  Is
it ok to drink cloudy glacial runoff.  I've always just treated it
with aqua mira and let it sit a little longer/used a little extra.  I
don't filter it because it seems like that fine silt would clog a
filter asap.  Recently though I hiked the wonderland trail around
Rainier (great hike but snowy) and another hiker swore it's not
healthy to drink the stuff and went out of his way to walk a half mile
up the trail from the site to a clear water source.  Thoughts on
cloudy glacial water?  Is the high mineral content bad for you?  Does
it prevent chemical purification from even working?

Granite