[pct-l] glacial runoff

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 20 13:09:20 CDT 2011

Good morning, Granite,

I don’t believe rock silt from glacial melt water is much of a health
problem considering the total amount consumed in one’s life is very
small.  There
is lots of gray/white rock silt in glacial melt which is why many Pacific NW
mountains have outflow creeks named “Milk Creek” or “Whitewater
Creek”.  Sometimes
I can’t see the bottom of a creek that’s only 12” deep.

Most often I find clear water not far away, but I have used the milky stuff.
I avoid silt-water not because I’m so concerned about the silt, but because
I just don’t like to mess with clearing it up.  Doing so, I usually use two
water containers: one to settle the silt before pouring the (mostly) clear
water into the other.

I do treat the water, particularly on Mt. Hood which is a very heavily
climbed peak.  Someone up above is bound to have piddled or pooped on the
glacier from which the water melted.  Much of the time I’ve used a pump
filter on silt-water. It does plug, however I use the *Katadyn* filter which
has a ceramic media from which the silt is easily scraped.  For chemical
purification I use Clorox, and I believe it is effective in spite of the
silt.  Maybe it even turns the gray silt white:  Do you suppose?

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09