[pct-l] Shoes vs insoles

Anthony Paolozzi don_paolozzi at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 20 13:29:28 CDT 2011

 I've been trying on buying and returning shoes for the last two weeks with no luck. I woke up this morning nearly hobbled after a day of wearing the Patagonia Drifter A/C's and can't wait to take them back. I've tried the North Face Hedgehog 3 both shoe and boot, and the Ultra 106, the Merrell Chameleon's were comfortable but I nearly did the splits when walking on slick surfaces and there was so much ankle roll I was afraid my leg would snap then there was the Patagonia. My old North Face boots have a little tread still on them but the insoles are so compacted it's like walking bare foot on concrete I've tried the sure feet insoles and those also killed my feet so I'm wondering if anybody has any good advice.  I leave for my hike on Monday so I don't have time to break anything in so I'm wondering if I should just go buy some Dr. Sholes insoles for my boots or a new pair of nikes or asics with lots of heel support?