[pct-l] glacial runoff

Mike Smith 2nomad at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 23:00:54 CDT 2011

   Several decades ago a friend (from Colorado) and I (from California) were
hiking in the Glacier Peak area. We encountered silty water and began
questioning any health issues.
   Fortunately around dusk on the second day we camped near a backcountry
ranger. To this expert we posed our question. She replied that she wasn't
sure but thought there may be some damage to our gizzards if we drank the
silty water without settling. It was too dark to see if she was smiling.
   That response gave us much to ponder and discuss for the next four days,
and for years after.
Happy trails, --Lightfoot