[pct-l] ultralight-self supported

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 12:50:12 CDT 2011

If you can get a copy of it, Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" is a very
good intro to long distance ultra-light hiking.  It's a very thorough book.

Pretty much every book that has ever been written on the PCT can be found
here:

http://planyourhike.com/media/index.php#books

Also, if record breaking is on your mind, you might try to break the record
for through hiking a *section* of the PCT.  For example, you  might set out
to break the record for thru-hiking the Oregon section of the PCT.  Here you
will have an advantage over Scott Williamson in one respect:  He has to
conserve his energy and pace himself for the long haul... whereas you'll be
able to give everything you've got over that section.  You don't have to
worry so much about burning out.

According to my calculations, the Oregon section of the PCT could be done in
around 8.5 days and using only 2 or 3 resupplies.  If done during the proper
time of year, a base pack weight of under 4 pounds could be possible.  You'd
probably collapse when you hit the state-border, but hey... isn't that what
record-breaking is all about?

Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com <http://www.planyourhike.com/>
Info on PCT Gear, Resupply Points, Maps, Thru hiking Movies, etc.