[pct-l] PCT-L now in forum format

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Tue Aug 23 03:11:54 CDT 2011

Hello All,

I would like to add that it would/should be relatively little
programming work on the part of Postholer.com to be able to push
through any messages, posted at their website as replies to pct-l
posts, back to the pct-l mailing list - and even to have them be
displayed from the original owner. I know this to be true because I
have created a near identical feature it in the past, as a developer
of the original software package that postholer.com utilizes as their
core website software. I feel that a responsible course of action, if
postholer.com desires to continue this feature that they have added to
their list of Provided Services is to take the necessary steps to
further develop their website to have truer integration with
those/that from whom data is being mined/populated from/to. Otherwise,
it will be of very little benefit to the pct-l, the pct community in
large, and instead to serve as little more than to further expand the
ventures of the postholer.com Services.

I will not get involved in the "what is best, who is right, who is
wrong, what should or should not have been done" issues that have
already been brought up.

In the end, the data (emails) being use to propagate this new feature
that postholer has added to their website is publicly accessible to
anybody via the standard mailman archive and is by no means an illegal
action by postholer.com, as backcountry.net has no stated policies
disallowing data mining of their archives.

Again, if postholer.com truly cared about the PCT community in large,
they would further invest the necessary development of their websites
to allow any comments posted by postholder.com members, to
automated/mined pct-l posts, to be pushed back to the pct-l in a
proper manner, so that the PCT community, and pct-l members, can all
be involved in the furtherance of knowledge and education that we all
seek to gain and share.

John B. Abela
www.RedwoodOutdoors.Com