[pct-l] Fuel canisters and resupply

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:52:26 CDT 2011

For ease of resupply along the trail, alcohol fuel is the best choice.  HEET
or by-the-ounce alcohol is available at most towns and resorts.  Alcohol can
be problematic in no-campfire restricted areas, and is not, in my opinion,
safe for use inside tents, however ventilated, due to the spill factor.

I prefer (and use) a JetBoil.  One small canister boils about 11 quarts (my
tests at sea level), about a week's worth for my limited cooking/hot
beverage needs.  JetBoil canisters are not generally available in small
towns and resorts, so a distance hiker needs to send resupply using
ground-only compressed gas shipping and labeling rules through the USPS or
UPS.  Or, take enough canisters to last between large towns that one knows
have the fuel.