[pct-l] Oregon G - Eagle Creek trail review - timid hiker

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:14:28 CDT 2011

So as a timid not-thru-hiker who just went on the Eagle Creek trail as
the PCT alternate just south of the Columbia River, here's a review in
case it's helpful to anyone else out there looking for reassurances.
The Wilderness Press guide book says it's not good for those with
acrophobia or something to that effect.

For reference, I'm by far the most timid hiker I know of, but no
physical problems besides an overactive sense of self-preservation.

There are 5 or 6 sections, <100yds each, with a good bit of exposure
(i.e. if you step off the trail you'd be gone) but they all (or maybe
all but one?) have steel cables from beginning to end in really good
condition, and all have remarkably good trail quality - 3-6 feet wide
(maybe a couple of very short notches of 2-3 feet width), not
outsloped, solidly cut rock with good grip even when bumpy and wet
with loads of mist and seep and day-old rain.

The falls are all incredible, and even with the expected
take-your-breath-away effect, and paying added attention to footsteps,
I felt the trail was secure enough even in the cliffy cabled sections
to turn around and grab a few pictures and soak in the view.

</drama>

Hats off to the builders and maintainers of that trail.  It is
incredible trail work, with lots of rock work / blasting, and they do
a great job of keeping it clean and in great shape.  (We saw about 180
tourists going into the gorge as we came out on Saturday late morning
- all ages, all types of footwear)

Enjoy!