[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Mon Dec 5 18:09:08 CST 2011

I have suffered with Achilles tendonitis for years.  Interestingly enough for me, it bugs me more when I quit hiking than when I hike all the time!  I have found that the best thing is to start out slow first thing in the morning.  You will have a lot less pain if you don't stress it before it gets warmed up.  I know the importance of stretching, but don't stretch them hard when they're cold.  Don't be afraid to go a little slower on those uphills where your tendon is fully extended.  It's also just another reason to keep the overall weight you are carrying down. Of the people I know who've actually snapped tendons, it occurred from playing basketball or tennis and some jerking move that they made. And of course, whether you wear lower or higher topped shoes, find one that doesn't hit your tendon when you walk.