[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Dec 5 22:33:56 CST 2011

Hey Mark,
A few years ago, when I was training for one of my JMT speed hikes,
I strained my Achilles tendon.
There is a good place in my neighborhood to train for going up and down
steep hills like you will find in the Sierra.
I would, with a 45lb pack, jog down and power walk up a steep hill for about
an hour and then jog down and power walk up a 79 step stair for another hour,
doing 25 loops.
This put tremendous strain on the Achilles tendon and I strained it.
To make a long story short if I remember right the Dr. prescribed rest
and anti inflammatory medication.
It took a while, but I made a full recovery and it does not bother me anymore.
REST&  sufficient time for the body to heal is the key.
And of course, after it healed, restart easy...don't start up in high gear.
Give the body time to readjust and the tendon and muscles to strengthen again.

Hope that helps and good luck on the PCT.

JMT Reinhold
Mark wrote:
*I have been nursing an achilles tendon strain now for over a year.
I amplanning a thru-hike in 2012.
Does anyone have experience with achilles tendonitis/tendonosis?
Can I still realistically do a thru-hike with thiscondition?
Any advice on how to deal with this on the trail?*