[pct-l] Early start, early finish

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:34:34 CST 2011

Hello Robert -

Without knowing your experience, I'll assume you're an average hiker like
the rest of us.  Most PCT hikers don't have prior experience hiking for
weeks on end in winter snow conditions.  Perhaps you do, and if that is the
case, please disregard my assumption.

That said, I think it's important for you (and others who no doubt have the
same sort of questions) to understand that the PCT in SoCal is not all
desert.  The PCT reaches the Laguna Mountains by mile 40, and you'll be at
9000 feet on the side of Mt. San Jacinto by mile 180.  The PCT goes up/down
many mountain ridges all the way to Kennedy Meadows.

Starting the PCT in early March is not advisable for average hikers (like
me!).  The concern should not be "is it difficult".  Rather, the concern
should be "is it dangerous".  My opinion is that YES, it's dangerous.  It's
better to wait until late April or early May.  It isn't advisable to hike
north from Kennedy Meadows before early June anyway, so starting in March
won't really get you anywhere.

I'd recommend a 2-year hike.  Start in late April or early May.  Hike
through July.  Then come back next year!!!

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com