[pct-l] hiking with dog

Josie josie1066 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:51:36 CST 2011

Mark, I have an 8 year-old giant border collie who has traveled 2/3 of the PCT and 1/3 of the CDT with me and my husband. I agree with everything that Deems said about traveling with a dog, however each dog's capabilities are individual, just as with humans--as Deems says, it is important to put your dog's needs first because they need to be cared for like a child. My dog, Mr. Cody, has been hiking since he was a puppy and each year he just seems to get better at it--he has fewer problems and this year he made huge contributions to our two (longer) hikes-- 360 miles on the CDT through heavy snow, wild rivers and a grizzly bear with cubs; then a 60 mile section on the Sierra High Route--he was amazing. If you really want to try it I recommend that you go on some shorter hikes and see how your dog does. You can read more about Mr. C's adventures in my journals at postholer.com/jo or contact me off line. I have not found the PCT-l to be dog friendly, which I find rather sad.--jo

I too have a 6yr old Jack Russell terrier that has 1000 PCT miles to her
credit. I hike at her comfort level, and we have done some very incredible
trips together.  Most of our PCT trips have been two week plus sections, but
taking on the whole PCT would be beyond our comfort level.  Minus all the
legal Nat Park issues, etc.  I've found that after 2-3 weeks, she is tired,
and I'm getting stronger. At that point, you will be able to hike beyond
your dog's abilities. I and Kelly can hike 15miles a day comfortably, but
that's our limit.   My dog loses her appetite after days of long hiking, she
wants to sleep, so it is a challenge to keep her fed well.   I now feed her
very expensive dog food to keep her in shape, and her appetite up. I love to
hike with my dog, and I always put her first. Each trek is designed to her
abilities.   I have backed out of trips because of my dog's health or
issues, and I've hiked with 3 trail dogs since 1981.  The hardest trip to
abort was a 2 week trip deep into the Sierra in 2003.  When I arrived at the
trailhead my dog Pika had an abcessed tooth, and very swollen face. I looked
at her, and then hard at the Sierra that I had dreamed about for a year.  We
then drove 500 miles back home and right to the vet.  We then hiked into the
Trinity Alps later that week, with the vet's approval, and returned to the
Sierra in 2004 for the 2003 trek.  Your dog comes first. Be ready to abort
your trip, anywhere, anytime, for him.  I won't get into the heat issues, if
it's in the 90s, your dog may not be able to hike, he will seek shade. Kelly
and I will hike the PCT from Sierra City to Old Station in 2012.  Feel free
to contact me off line.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/kelly&page=all
http://postholer.com/faq.php#dogs  FAQ
~~~^^^~~
I am doing a thru hike in 2012. Has anyone done a thru hike with their dog?
I have a Jack Russel that is 6 years old and I dont have a place to leave
him when I do this hike, and I don't want to give him away. So I am
considering taking him with me. I know that National Parks don't allow dogs
in the backcountry, besides the sheer magnitude of such a hike may be too
much ( distance, stream crossings, hot, cold, ect.) I dont know. Does
anyone have advice or suggestions? I looked into kennels but that would
cost a small fortune. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I love this
dog and I really want to do this hike. Thanks,   Mark