[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 10

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:09:32 CST 2011

It all depends on the year, and the snow.  Three years of drought, '07 to
'09, it wasn't so critical.  I have talked to many who didn't really need
them.  In 2010 we had big snow and in 2011, even bigger.  My Kahtoola 10
points got the award for my favorite piece of gear in 2010. I used them for
part or most of nearly everyday for 5 weeks.  Everyone I hiked with or ran
across in the High Sierra had either microspikes, instep or heel cramps or
the 10 point Kahtoolas.  Some picked them up part way through when off
trail to resupply.  I know there are those who don't need them, but for
most of us mere mortals, they were a Godsend on the icy slopes.  And don't
just have them sent to the Sierra, we needed them in the San Jacintos,
early in the trip.  I was using Trax at that point and they were not
enough.  They were torn to shreds by Hwy 10, and are the reason I switched
to the Kahtoolas and didn't use microspikes which have a similar rubber
mesh of spikes, although they are more strongly built than the Trax.

Shroomer