[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

branko grujcic xo4xx at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 11:36:06 CST 2011

Hey Mark, Reinhold!
A word of caution on non steroidal anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAID).  Thave been shown to delay and hamper the healing in all the soft
tissues, including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.  I'm sure you will find a lot of data on interwebs.  Here is a blogpost from a well respected coach i know.

http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot.com/2009/06/get-off-ibuprofen-peoples.html

Ice is the answer.  If you need pain meds use Tylenol which is not anti-inflammatory.  I haven't have Achilles tendons problems but i did hurt other tendons.   In addition to ice I used large doses of fish oil, i'm not sure if  that added to healing, but it's anti-inflammatory.  I think the rest is important at the beginning but in my case aggressive mobility workouts with injured tendon made it heal faster.  A good physiotherapist my help a lot.

And, yeah, listen to your doc...
Hope that helps!
Branko