[pct-l] Thru hiking with dog

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sun Dec 11 14:49:36 CST 2011

Mark:

I just read  an article in issue 9 of Backpacking Light magazine that
highlighted Justin Lichter's (aka Trauma) hike on the extended
Appalachian trail with his dog Yoni. A quote from the article: "Yoni, by
the way, is a five year old sixty pound mixed breed--half St. Bernard
and half border collie. She might be described either as an energetic
(and compact version) of a large breed, or a mellow herder. She lives
for snow, enjoys cold temperatures, and eats puppy chow on the trail.
Thanks to some saddle bags, she can carry 4-5 days of food if needed."

Sounds like this dog is perfect for the trail conditions that Justin
encountered--he has also done the triple crown, but I don't know if she
went along. He also hikes 30 miles a day, which would make getting to
dog food re-supplies easier, if your dog could carry 4-5 days of food.
If you did low mileage it would be harder.

Dogs are like people--they need to train for thru hiking and be
temperamentally suited. The problem comes from people assuming that
because their dog is an animal they will be able to do the trail
naturally. This isn't true for people and isn't true for dogs. I hiked
with a cattle dog mix and she was great--had incredible stamina,
tolerated both hot and cold conditions and could carry some of her
food--I helped her in that regard.

Good Luck,

Fireweed