[pct-l] hiking with dog

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Mon Dec 12 12:33:30 CST 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Bob Bankhead wrote:

> I was raised around dogs and enjoy well-behaved dogs, but I really detest
> owners whose dogs are always barking, chasing the local wildlife, or just
> sniffing around my camp. Control your animal or keep it at home.
#######

That is an outstanding point.  My dogs have always been harmless to other humans but are terrible predators and downright nasty thieves when it comes to food being left abandoned.  As a matter of fact a sandwich in your hand and not in your mouth constitutes abandoned depending on where you are foolish enough to leave your hand.

At the house with friends this is not a huge problem.  We know each other and respect boundaries and keep the pets at bay.   At most public parks this is not a problem since the dogs are on a leash.

At a trail camp this can get to be a major problem since a wandering do can literally ruin ca hikers menu for several day in a matter of seconds.  And the victim did nothing wrong and has no recourse other than to kill the offending dog and we all know that this is not going to end well (or get the food back).

But I still love my dogs.