[pct-l] Dogs in National Parks/horses/mules/llamas

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 12 16:43:30 CST 2011

Mark,

I agree with Snowplow that stock are needed, indeed, necessary, to help create and maintain the PCT.

Horses are not a significant source of trail erosion, dogs even less. WHEELS are the worst source of trail erosion. This is especially true when mountain bikers and motorcycle riders brake while going down hill. The groove created, when it rains, becomes a channel and, when it rains, a rut for water to run down - and eventually a virtual ditch. The tracks made by the hooves of horses and mules, are similar to hiker tracks. If the surface is soft, holes are created. The holes can collect rainwater and allow for the possibility of the water to percolate downward or evaporate.

I sometimes work as a volunteer on PCT trail maintenance. In the past two weeks I have spent four full days with other volunteers. We are working on a slippery and sometimes dangerous rock area on Section D. The heavy equipment needed was brought in by mules and horses. This kind of trail work goes on all along the PCT that we all use. Llama Lady and her husband do it with their llamas.

During my 2008 PCT ride I camped with a volunteer Backcountry Horsemen Group (I am a BCH) on Section O in Northern California. They were spending about two weeks supporting (packing in equipment,food and water) to over 50 volunteer Boy Scouts who were doing volunteer PCT trail work. I recall riding through the large Boy Scout Camp and also through several areas where they were working. God bless the volunteers, including their stock - without them we would not have a PCT.

MendoRider-Hiker