[pct-l] NEO Air + Tyvek

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:14:42 CST 2011

I also used a Neo Air for my whole 2011 thru-hike. I got a couple of holes,
none of which drastically affected my sleep (I almost always get up in the
middle of the night to pee anyway, so spending an extra ten seconds blowing
up my NeoAir when I was already awake wasn't a huge issue). All of those
holes were after SoCal. And whenever I got somewhere with a shower or
bathtub, a wet Neo-Air, some soap and some super-glue meant another few
months of wonderful sleep... plus a newly clean bed. I always carried a
sit-pad (1/8" GG pad or a cut-up Ridgerest that was going to be tossed
anyway), which would double as an extra layer under my pad if I felt it
needed it.

In the end, I think a Neo-Air is a better investment anyway. Yeah,
closed-cell foam pads are cheap, but they only last you so long. I knew a
couple of people who went through two Z-rests or Ridge-rests (one who went
through two of each!) on their PCT hike. I'm still on my first Neo-Air, and
I don't see myself buying a new one anytime soon.

Then again, there are those people (Daybreaker and Roo come to mind) who
are more comfortable on the ground than in a bed. If you're one of those
people, good on you. I'm jealous!

Seahorse