[pct-l] Dogs in National Parks

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Thu Dec 15 14:21:57 CST 2011

Mark:

Great idea to have a permit system for dogs in parks. One of the best
ideas I've heard so far. It's ridiculous you can take your dog through
the national forest and then when you get to a tree with national park
boundary sign all of a sudden it is a horrible impact. I worked on
national forests and in Yosemite National Park and really found ranger's
reasons for not being able to take a dog backpacking pretty self serving
and flimsy.

Perhaps a first step in the permitting process would be to allow thru
hikers and those doing at least a 500 mile section of trail with dogs to
obtain a permit to take their dog thru the National Park or state park.
The hikers would have to show their PCTA permit or some other document
to validate their long distance hiker status.

Great idea,
Fireweed