[pct-l] backcountry horsemen Leave No Trace

Charles Williams charlesnolie at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 21:13:39 CST 2011

All,
Okay, Here it is.   I've copied and pasted the directive of the BCHA Board that I got off their website.  This is the future of Backcountry Horsemen throughout the west and beyond, their words, not mine:

BCHA
LEAVE NO TRACE
STOCK USERS EDUCATION PROGRAM
To educate, encourage, and solicit active participation in the wise and sustaining use of the back country resources by horsemen and the general public.
This statement is the basis for the BCHA LNT Stock Users Education Program.  The BCHA Board has directed that we become the primary trainer of stock users in LNT principles and practices nationally.  To that end the LNT Master’s Education Program was established.  The program is a partnership between BCHA, State and Affiliate Members, the US Forest Service and LNT Inc.
BCHA coordinates, manages and monitors the program in cooperation with State and Affiliate memberships.  Qualified BCH members are selected to become LNT Master Educators.  Each of the Master Educators attends a five day LNT course at the US Forest Service Nine Mile Remount Station in Montana.  The students are taught and teach the LNT Principles and Practices outlined in the LNT Master Educators Handbook.  Upon completion of the course the Master Educators teach Train the Trainer courses in cooperation with the local BCH units.  The LNT Trainers then put on LNT Awareness Workshops.
Thru 2009 thirty-six Master Educators have successfully completed the training.  They represent nineteen of our state and affiliate memberships.
The focus of our training and education activities is the Leave No Trace Principles.
Plan and prepare
Travel and camp on durable surfaces
Dispose of waste properly
Leave what you find
Minimize campfire impacts
Respect wildlife
Be considerate of other visitors

Like I said before, I realize not all stock users are up to speed with this.  That is also true of the hiking community.  But the BCHA is making it a priority.

And I apologize if I seem confrontational or not "polite" as Brick put it in the posting to us.  But people talking about curtailing the rights of horsemen is a very serious matter to me.

QuincyRider