[pct-l] Ultra Light Backpack Pros and Cons

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Dec 17 23:11:14 CST 2011

I don't consider myself and ultra-light hiker, just a section hiker who
wants to keep the load down.

I use an ULA Catalyst and my base weight including pack is 17 - 18 pounds
and I'm working to cut more weight.
To carry water I use 4 1 liter ginger ale bottles and they have stood up
well. For desert hiking I'd add something else.
I use a .9 liter Evernew titanium pot with lid. I use an older Primus
canister stove and just a ti spoon for eating. I have a crude pot cozy made
from a pajama leg which doubles as a stuff sack for the pot, the stove goes
inside the pot. I eat out of my pot or the Mt. House bags. I carry a
titanium cup for my morning coffee.

I use paint strainer bags or Hefty slider bags instead of stuff sacks for a
lot of my gear. Lighter and I can see what is inside.

There are lots of ways to cut ounces and pounds -- the first question is
how much do I need/want this? Is it worth carrying the weight mile after mile?

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.