[pct-l] Ultra Light Backpack Pros and Cons

Seth Schumacher eragon921 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 23:53:01 CST 2011

I'd go for the lightweight pack for anything excepting an expedition. It
all depends on how you pack it, as a bunch of others here have explained. I
love my ULA pack at 1lb 5oz. It's completed the AT and part of the CDT with
no problems other than some standard mesh ripping. Nothing some tooth floss
and a needle couldn't fix. I don't pack more than 30lbs in it with the rare
exceptions for those long trail sections, like the Bob Marshal in MT, where
I'm carrying extra food. I pack a Z-rest, or the lightest thermarest I can
find as both my pad and frame. An MSR pocket rocket w/titanium pot and
spork and the large canister. I only cook my dinner and all the rest of my
foods are dry for the most part. As for water, I'm a camel, so I drink a
lot and then only carry one or two litres. I use polar pure instead of a
filter, etc. Basically the less weight the better you'll be. I also carry a
wet rib from Dana Designs, which is not made any more, that attaches to the
front of my pack and rather counterweights it so my back and shoulders
rarely hurt.

Try different combinations as you can. You'll find what works for you. If
you want the aether, go for it. It's a great pack. I started thru-hiking
the CDT with an Osprey Atmos and learned quickly to go other ways because
it didn't work for me. Your body will tell you what works.

Seth "Osprey" Schumacher
President Willamette Outdoor Recreational Climbing Club
Primal Quest Trekking Director
Appalachian Trail 2007 | Continental Divide Trail 2006
1-406-823-0205 | eragon921 at gmail.com | sschumacher at alaskapacific.edu