[pct-l] Newbie section hike question

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 08:55:14 CST 2011

Welcome to the pct-l, Liz...
> ...moving from Arizona to the Mt Shasta area, and I'd very much like to
get in a hike on the PCT this summer as an intro to the area...

As MendoRider said:
> You live near a wonderful part of the PCT.
I am biased, however, since I grew up in far NorCal and avidly explored & experienced my old 'home turf' mountains many years ago -
and I try to return each summer for two or three weeks to get my annual 'sanity fix'...

Explore your new home area first - too many day hikes and weekend backpacks to mention both on and off the PCT - and it's readily
accessible right in your new 'backyard'...
I suggest <http://northerncaliforniahikingtrails.com/blog/hiking-guides/75-hikes-shasta-lassen/> as an intro to the Shasta/Lassen area...

Regarding the PCT in your new home area:
Section P, 100 miles:  I-5 to Parks Creek Summit is 39 miles, Parks Ck Summit to Scott Mountain Summit (Hwy 3) is 21 miles,
Scott Mtn Summit to Carter Meadows Summit is 20 miles, Carter Mdws Summit to Etna Summit is 20 miles...
Section Q, 55.5 miles:  Etna Summit to Grider Creek CG is 49 miles - then a 6.5 mile road walk will get you to Seiad Valley...
Many choices of start/end points for a 40 to 75 mile (or more!) trek...
Then there is also Section O and/or R to consider as well...  ;-/

Download Halfmile's PCT maps, <http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html>, of the above sections and start planning!  ;o)
Also check out a great group, the Siskiyou Wanderers, <http://siskiyouwanderers.com/>, a few of which I have worked with on the
Lyons' Pride PCT Trail Crew - they know the NorCal area very well and have many day hikes you could go on & would enjoy!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)